- Expedition: Mar 30 - Apr 4, 2014
- Turlock High School
- Yosemite National Park: Merced Grove Cabin
9:11pm April 1st
After only spending a day out here I’ve come to realize that I’m already homesick. Maybe it’s because I still haven’t gotten used to it or most probably that a week before this trip I started watching a new show on Netflix called “Gossip Girl” and boy I’m addicted to that show already. I should tell you I was watching it Sunday morning before meeting with Mr. Hollister and WildLink and I left off on a good episode. I’ve realized I’ve come to love the character “Chuck Bass”!!! in the show. So yea maybe that’s why I’m homesick and also I miss my family. But whatever, the same thing happened last year and I got over it. Next thing you know I’ll be Yosemite sick, missing it when I’m home just like last year.
April 2, 2014
How has your perspective changed since the trip started?
Well, I thought since we chose to stay in the cabin I thought it wasn’t going to be that fun. But now that we’ve already started to hike it’s pretty fun. It’s harder than I thought it would be. Sliding through the snow, slipping almost everywhere and even getting my foot stuck in a rail. Though it’s not as adventurous as I thought it would be, but still pretty entertaining with the people. Maybe I’m not enjoying it as much ‘cause it’s so cold and that kills my mood.
April 3, 2014 8:51pm
As I read the book that was given to me in the pile of things I came upon a quote that I’ve been going round and round in my mind and it sends with a question that I don’t know how to answer it either you choose. To live your life like if you were to live forever or live your life like you were going to die tomorrow. It’s a pretty hard question and all day I’ve been trying to decide but it’s the end of the day and still I cannot choose. All I know is that book has some really amazing quotes that really make me think about them. To tell you I spend a lot of my time just reading quote after quote and my mind was like exploding trying to figure out powerful things and write such only a couple of words or sentences.
Favorite quotes in Outward Bound book:
- "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." (Henry David Thoreau, p.5)
- “We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit.” (E.E. Cummings, p.6)
- "Zorba came upon an old man planting an apricot seedling and asked why he, an old man, was planting a new tree. 'I live life as though I would never die,' was his reply. 'And me, I live as though I might die tomorrow,' said Zorba, 'which one of us is right?'" (Nikos Kazantzakis, p. 6)
April 4th 2:57pm
What can you do in order to keep doing this as an experience?
Well, I come with my family to Yosemite a couple times a year and only a part of them an when we do come it’s not as enjoyable to come with them ‘cause they’re always in a rush and things like that but every year on Christmas Day me and my whole family come to Yosemite and we have a blast. So I guess one thing I can do is when I do is when I come with family, I should have everything planned out just like a WildLink trip and that way it can be more relaxed than chaotic. Another thing I could do is start getting my friends more interested in this, too, or even just come back to Yosemite by myself and enjoy the peace ‘cause the best part of the two expeditions I’ve been on in Yosemite and Kings Canyon was the spirit walk in which it was so relaxing.