- Expedition: Feb 15-20, 2004
- Franklin and Parlier High Schools
- Yosemite National Park: Hite's Cove
My definition of the wilderness is a place where everything is natural. I think that the wilderness is a place where everything is free. In the wilderness everything changes. It gives me a chance to think of what is going on in the world and how much has changed so much from one year to the next. The wilderness gives me the peace and quiet I don't usually get at home, but desperately try to find. It's a place that I could sit and take my mind off stupid things like school, tv shows and so on. The wilderness and places like the one we are in now, lets me get in touch with myself, unlike home.
Thoughts on Hiking Alone:
I am not a fan of goodbyes. I tried not to look back at the campsite but I did anyway. A part of me was left there. I don't think I'll ever forget the sounds of the non-stop rain and the river singing me to sleep every night. I am going to miss being there and the experience there. I'm trying no to look at this as a goodbye but as a first step. Even though I don't belong in this place, I wish to come back and reunite myself with the sounds, smells and the part of myself that has been left behind.
Have You Ever:
- taken a dump in the pitch black of night?
- slept on a sharp rock, bruising the side of you?
- noticed that people listen to every one of your sentences, waiting for the moment you said "A"?